Sunday, February 24, 2008

More Mommy in Mountain View

So it looks like I'm living the free life in the hotel on behalf of a whole internet full of mommy bloggers who need a break.

What's life looking like now?

Well, I explored Mountain View on foot yesterday. I walked downtown, found a bookstore and a book, and then a coffee shop and a coffee. I walked back the hotel, had a nap, and settled in for an evening of quality time ...


Do I know how to have fun, or what? By the way, it's not a really huge pizza; it's a really tiny bottle of wine.

Today the Museum was open, so I decided since I had lots of time to spare (!!), I would walk there. There really are a lot of freeways around here, and it's noisy to walk over them!


But some of the walk was quite nice. I mapped out the back streets (you'd better believe that Google's home town has a fully implemented Street View on the map) and, once I crossed the Great Freeway, I basked in the green. And the flowers!


At the Museum, I dorked out, taking pictures of all the 1980s-era computer keyboards. I didn't realize that the PET keyboard was so freaking tiny! The whole thing is only about eight inches across. Of course, I put up my hand to all the questions the docent asked on the tour. I'm a dork, for sure.


(Can you see? That's my arm and the camera in the shadow?)

On the way home, orange trees!


Tomorrow, it's back into the archives, and then an overnight flight home. I'm glad to have this change; I'm glad I got to share it, vicariously, with you. Have an orange and make like you're here with me!

20 comments:

Belle said...

Wow! First to comment. It must be the time difference of the fact that I couldn’t sleep.
Those oranges look amazing. Seeing them made me long for summer…oh so many months away.
P.S. I love the bouncing on the bed photo! I would totally do that too!

Belle said...

oops 'or'

maybe I should go to bed ;-)

S said...

cool.

i like it. even if i must live it only vicariously.

Melanie D. said...

I want to come to Cali. Now.
Freezing rain in the forecast tonight, after it teased us today with 50 deg. temps. Sigh.

I hope your travels home are safe and smooth!

Melanie D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenifer said...

Real oranges? Sigh.

Anonymous said...

We were a Commodore family. Our first was the 64. It came with a resin apple core necklace. Get it? A Macintosh Apple chewed up and thrown away! HA! Oh Commodore. You were so brash. Where are you now, huh?

Enjoy the respite. Yeah, I could have an orange. But I'd rather get in on that pizza and wine action.

cinnamon gurl said...

We had a commodore 64 too. Enjoy your last day, and have a safe flight.

Beck said...

Pizza AND wine all to yourself in a hotel room? HEAVEN.
Enjoy the rest of your stay and have a safe trip home.

kittenpie said...

Mmmm...wine....

I'm eating oranges by the bunch right now. So yummy.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Dawn said...

You really do know how to have fun! That day sounds like the day of my dreams.

Exploring a bookstore with no one begging for toys or running away? Buying a book and a coffee and being able to go read uninterrupted? A nap? A meal with no one climbing on you?

Maybe I need a job where I get to travel...Nah.

But it's nice to fantasize a little.


Thanks for sharing! By the way, I hope you ate some of those oranges. They look so yummy!

Bon said...

damn. i thought it was a giant pizza. i was going to see if i could catch a plane and help you with leftovers.

:)

Kyla said...

You DO know how to have fun. That is the sort of fun I'd be having too.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Mimi my dear, this is for you.

Run ANC said...

I could really go for a glass of wine.

JENN said...

I want to eat fresh oranges, eat pizza, drink wine and jump on the bed! Most of all I want this foot of snow (or is 2 feet by now) to disappear and be warm again. Have a good flight home.

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures, especially of the orange trees.
I hope you have relished your time away, but equally I know you will be pleased to get home!

Unknown said...

Yup I was thinking that was a LARGE pizza for one....lol!! Those oranges are amazing.

Christine said...

you are making miss california and glad i left all at the same time!

i miss: good weather and orange trees
i DON'T miss: HUGE freakin' freeways.

Running on empty

alejna said...

I guess you're back home by now. But that sure did look like a grand trip you had. I hope that decompression went easy on you.

I loved the pictures you shared. I would have geeked out a bit at the museum, too. (Actually, there have been times in my life when I've felt like we've lived in an offshoot of such a museum. We have quite a few generations of computers around the house.) And that photo of you jumping on the bed in the last post was fabulous.

Thanks for sharing the fun! And the oranges.