Thursday, October 30, 2008

Things grownups should know

I can't help myself! I must say it! I'm surrounded by young adults who are clueless about very basic things! I. Must. Give. Assvice. Here, so I don't accost people on the bus.

1) When you buy a new winter coat? The classy grownup kind? And there's a fabric label proclaiming '100% merino wool' or 'Italian cashmere blend'? Affixed to the cuff? THAT IS MEANT TO BE CUT OFF BEFORE YOU WEAR IT IN PUBLIC. Honestly, has our branded culture so infected us with the desire to flaunt labels that it is not obvious that this particular tag is a relic of days gone by, meant simply as information to the purchaser and not for display to the world at large? Yikes.

2) Similarly, that lovely long raincoat with the cute twin flaps at the rear? YOU HAVE TO CUT THOSE BASTING STITCHES HOLDING THEM SHUT. Honestly, can you not see that it's just the flimsiest of fastenings? Holding shut flaps that are obviously meant to, well, flap? They are sewn shut so that when they are shipped here in giant boxes from (sigh) some impoverished country on the other side of the world, the garment doesn't get fantastically crumpled or bent.

To conclude, it makes me sad that so many young adults are so adept at purchasing new garments, but seem incapable of properly wearing them. I mean, you don't have to match your shoes to your purse to your lipstick or anything like that. Just take the tags off, and cut the basting stiches. What is happening to this world?

Phew. Thanks for indulging the rant. Really, I'm usually fairly pleasant to be around ....

13 comments:

Run ANC said...

Can we add: "just because it's in style does not mean that it looks good on you"?

Patti said...

A well-written rant, I must say.

Kaysie Lynn said...

I agree with no mother earth. Just because it's in style does not mean it looks good on you, and I happen to be one of those young adults against whom you're ranting. I, however, quite agree with your rant, and really, it gave me a good laugh on a somewhat crappy day. Hooray for people with fashion sense!

alejna said...

An excellent rant.

To young women who will wear pants with the word "juicy" emblazoned across the butt, a little tag saying "Merino wool" on a cuff may well seem elegant...

Anonymous said...

I will confess to cutting a tag out of a friend's top without them knowing. If it was a fashion statement, I stopped it.

moplans said...

alejna does have a point.
perhaps we are too old.

ewe are here said...

Alejna makes a very good point.

And we don't need to see your belly peeking out between your shirts and your pants. And your skirts could be a bit longer, you know, to actually COVER your bottom.

I always mutter at a lot of these things: just because you 'can' wear something doesn't mean you 'should'.

Melanie D. said...

Maybe you could do a little psa at the school where you teach. :0)

11111111 said...

Well now, that was weird.

Kyla said...

Guess what? I had some slacks on the other day and my mom said, "You haven't cut the stitching out of those pockets yet?" And I said, "Huh? What do you mean? These aren't real pockets." But evidently they ARE real pockets, you just have to snip them open. That is probably something grownups should know, too.

Debbie said...

Awesome. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices these things and is subsequently shocked speechless by them.

(Although I rarely cut open my pockets...then they just gape open and become unsightly)

Jenifer said...

Amen! I notice everything and you can add people who tear off the paper tag, but leave the plastic loop, what is with that? Or price stickers on the bottom of shoes! Oh how I could go on.

Happy Halloween.

S said...

hahahah! you make me laugh.